Hall’s Rule of Social Order #32
Elevator rides are not social catalysts and therefor should not be used as social opportunities.
There are social norms to follow and you should make sure you’re prepared.
These are from “The Definitive book of body language” by Allan and Barbara Pease:
- There will be no talking to anyone, including a person you know.
- Avoid eye contact with others at all times.
- Maintain a “poker face” — no emotion is permitted to be shown.
- If you have a book or newspaper, pretend to be deeply engrossed in it.
- In bigger crowds, no body movement is allowed.
- You must watch the floor numbers change at all times.