LEGO© Creations

Red Lamppost from LEGO bricks

5 February, 2016 (22:35) | LEGO© Creations

LampNecessity breeds creativity.  That is what happened here.  When we moved into this house, the lamppost never worked.  I couldn’t figure it out.  I also had a dislike for the original lamppost that was there since it didn’t have a switch to turn it on or off and it didn’t have an outlet at its base.  Once the lamppost head fell off and became a precarious eye sore, I tore it out.

Then, the LUG got ~6,000 red 2×4 bricks.  After the novelty of having that many wore off, the reality of storing them in a 50 gallon bin, long term, set in.  I needed a new lamp and I needed to NOT have these taking up space forever.  Inspiration was born.

There are about 3,600 2×4 bricks in it.  The head on it now replaced the first version which was more square and only had 4 windows on each side.  It looked small and did not emit enough light.  I have another lid that I may end up putting on it in the spring.  It stands a little over 6 feet tall.  The access door on the bottom hides the power outlet.Lamp

I built it over the span of 6 months or so.  I did end up using Methylethylkeytone (MEK) to fuse all the pieces together in 4 sections.  I applied with a paint brush on the inner studs of each brick, so when I pressed them together, it wouldn’t spill out the front.  There was some talk about needing to put some UV protecting coating on it to, but I have yet to do that.

There is some additional “landscaping” in mind once it gets warmer, but I wanted to put this out there now while I was thinking about it.

 

It does this funky frost thing on the studs too – Stud frost

 1,452 views  


« Previous Story: